Do you shuck your own oysters? Share your tips with us below!
The verdict? Oysters, overall, are in "poor" condition. "They are functionally extinct in that they lack any significant ecosystem role and remain at less than 1 percent of prior abundances in many bays and ecoregions, particularly in North America, Australia, and Europe," the study stated.
Roughly 75 percent of the remaining wild oysters in the world can be found within five North American locations, so that's good news, but maybe that means steering clear of anything that's not a farmed oyster, lest the bivalves vanish completely. Yet another reason to pay attention to sustainable seafood guidelines.
It's the most wonderful time of the year: the holiday season! Between edible gift making, Christmas cookie baking, and cocktail party hosting, we've got an incredibly busy 31 days ahead of us. However, that doesn't mean we won't treat ourselves and our loved ones to some culinary decadence. Of course, we're happy to share our foodie obsessions with you! Here are our must haves for December.
Keep things uncomplicated and bake an oyster dressing with bacon and hot sauce outside of the bird. It's spicy, bready, and deliciously briny. Whip up a batch of mashed potatoes loaded with sour cream and white cheddar cheese. Finally, round out the menu with a bourbon-cranberry compote. It's the perfect sweet-tart accompaniment to succulent turkey. To be inspired by this collection of curated recipes, keep reading.
Did we forget something fabulous and foodie that's taking place in your neck of the woods? Please share with us in the comments below.
- San Francisco, CA: SF Weekly's Dish — Sept. 30
- San Luis Obispo, CA: Sunset's Savor The Central Coast — Sept. 30-Oct. 3
- Fort Collins, CO: Fall Harvest Brewfest — Oct. 1
- New York, NY: Great World Beer Festival — Oct. 1-2
- Orlando, FL: Latin Food & Wine Festival — Oct. 1-2
- Lake Tahoe, CA: Lake Tahoe Food and Wine Festival — Oct. 1-3
- Dallas, TX: Texas State Fair — Oct. 1-17
- Ann Arbor, MI: Pawpaws and Persimmons — Oct. 2
- Shelton, WA: OysterFest and Washington State Seafood Festival — Oct. 2-3
- New Orleans, LA: Boozing in Beantown — Oct. 4
If the world is your oyster, then it makes sense to shake up the house with some shells to prove it. Whether they're hanging from the ceilings, adorning the entryway, or finding their way as table accents, there are plenty of ways to decorate with the slippery suckers. Come check 'em out!