July is the month where Summer hits its stride. It's an endless parade of pool parties, barbecues, and hot days. Not to mention the food: burgers, grilled pizza, berries, ice cream, avocados, and salads. Clearly, we're embracing the gloriousness that is the warm season and encourage you to do the same! To make our lives easier, we are turning to five little items. Here are our must haves for the next 31 days.
I knew little about the process of making duck confit and rillette — that is, until I watched chef Matt Bolton make the two at this year's Chefs' Holidays. It was a revelation to realize how something as simple as preserving meat in its own fat could produce such tender results.
Another groundbreaking concept? The idea that the paddle attachment of a standing mixer can be a boon for things savory as much as sweet. To shred the confited duck for his rillette, the chef didn't bother with a fork, knife, or cutting board; he simply dumped the meat in his mixer (with the paddle attachment), turned it on, and within moments had perfectly shredded duck meat.
Have you ever used a mixer to shred meat?
Source: Flickr User FotoosVanRobin
- Padma Lakshmi will appear in an upcoming Hardee's hamburger commercial.— A Hamburger Today
- The childhood game Operation goes porky in this fun recipe guide. — Woman's Day
- Enter to win a Cuisinart standing mixer! — Al Dente
- Use manzanita branches to create a stunning, but simple centerpiece. — Simply Stated
- Got leftover pasta? Turn it into a filling frittata. — The Kitchn
- Dear Bravo, please improve next season's Top Chef. — The Epi-Log
- Hearty beef stew is an easy belly warmer. — Chow