Like satsumas and clementines, tangerines are a type of mandarin. (Unlike tangerines, clementines have little to no seeds and easy-to-peel skin; satsumas hail from Japan.) The name "tangerine" comes from Tangier, Morocco, which was the port that the first batch of tangerines were shipped out of! For more on tangerines, keep reading.
We are pumped to share one of our fave stories from Self here on FitSugar!
The cold weather arrived in New England this weekend and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. It's official — get out your knits — Winter is coming soon. One bright spot in a long cold winter is clementines at the grocery store!I personally think that clementines are the best Winter fruit. They are easy to buy, store, pack and eat. You know the saying "You can't have just one?" Well that's how I feel about clementines, I always take two at a time! Clementines like all citrus fruits are a great source of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps with our immunity which sometimes struggles during the cold winter months when we spend more time inside and germs get passed more easily. One clementine is just 35 calories with 1 gram of fiber and 1 gram of protein making it an excellent addition to any breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack!
I don't love the Winter so I look for little things to make me happy during those long, cold, dark months. Clementines brighten any Winter day so pick some up when they arrive in your store (soon)!
More from SELF!
The star of the show is a curried red lentil stew with vegetables and rice. It's a menu that's hearty, healthy, and downright scrumptious, so get the recipes after the break.
- Adam Roberts chats with a tipsy Bourdain in the video above. If that whets your palate then check out the extended Bourdain interview. — The FN Dish
- Have we gone too far with pre-packaged foods? — Slashfood
- Discover how to find bargain wines. — Chow
- Do you know what Ojai Pixie Tangerines are? — Glamdish
- Insects are everywhere, and they're good for you too. — Culinate
- Should Starbucks owe its baristas $105 million? — SavvySugar
- Bruce Willis is now a partner in the Bowery Wine Co. — NY Post