The Institute of Food Technologists (yep such a place exists) has come up with the Top 10 Food Trends for 2007. From upscale at home, to snacking on your own, the 2007 trends are definitely diverse and definitely speak to our ever changing society.
Since the IFT document is actually 39 pages long, I thought I'd help you out by giving you a general overview.
- Dining at Home - 75% of people polled said that they preferred to eat in (at least 5 nights a week). They liked this because they thought homemade food to be healthier. However the rise of take out and to-go meals are on the rise too.
- Food as Fun - 8 out of 10 diners "trade up" when dining out and splurge on premium, gourmet and exotic foods. Plus, celebrity chefs are just as famous as some movie stars.
- Convenient Products - With schedules getting busier and busier, people are looking for fresh, ready-to-eat food such as salads, precut veggies, pouches of tuna, skillet meals, single servings and more.
- Food "Sense" - Expect more foods with strong aromas, bigger crunch, crispiness, and freshness.
- Kids Rule - Parents are becoming more aware of the growing obesity rate in children. More companies are working on new and healthy snacks created just for kids.
To see the other 5 Food Trends, read more